Blog Post #1

Blog Post #1

There are many factors that have an influence on teachers and students using technology. Most importantly, the time period is what is causing technology to be more prevalent in the classroom setting.  Because technology now surrounds our everyday life, teachers must be able to master technology skills so that they can effectively teach students their own skills and prepare them for life in the job force. However, this skill also helps be more efficient them for their own tasks in the classroom such attendance, lesson plans and other technological classroom websites.
One of the ISTE standards that is meaningful to me is "Educators inspire students to positively contribute to and responsibly participate in the digital world." I remember growing up and always commenting on blog posts or discussion board, this helped me learn through the eyes of peers. I also learned with the rule "3 before me." Therefore technology made it easier to collaborate with peers and with my own work. Without the skill set I learned in school, I wouldn't be able to manage this blog in a quick and efficient manner or get myself prepared for job interviews and other tasks. One ISTE standard that seems our of my skill set is "Educators design authentic, learner-driven activities and environments that recognize and accommodate learner variability." I am not completely comfortable creating activities through technology, I can use other websites that are made for me but definitely not design my own through a website or designing one that you complete on technology rather than manually. 
I completely agree with the term "digital native." To be a digital native means to grow up with technology surrounding your every move. For example, my 4-year-old cousin can probably work an IPad or IPhone better than I can because it has always been there for them. They grew up in a time where touchscreen phones were already a thing. I myself am also a digital native, but I would argue that the newer generation encompasses that term more. There is a giant difference in how I use technology and my teachers, they seem to have a bit more trouble or are slower on the newer software programs. They also will use technology for easier things or even do it manually first and then transfer it because they are already used to doing it manually. This has caused my learning experience to be a bit backtracked and outdated. I see a big difference on how my future students would use technology. Even after shadowing at FSUS, I was able to see how I was learning from a textbook in front of me that I could not write in, where now these students are learning from an interactive textbook they can play games in on the whiteboard. I learned in an environment where technology was only used occasionally or for homework at home, whereas now classrooms are filled with every student having a laptop or tablet on their desk to complete their work on. 

Comments

  1. I can see your digital native idea behind your blog and that is very true. However, my personal belief is that it does not matter when/ where you were born, but the ability to actively use the technology for a purpose matters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment