Blog Post #4
Normally through Twitter, I just interact with my friends. However, for this course I have mostly been interacting with the education research accounts and retweeting their material. I've found it beneficial because it has increased my knowledge in certain areas and has opened my eyes as to what is going on in the education field. I believe Twitter will help me in my future career by keeping me up to date on current events.
The digital divide affects student success in schools by limiting the options that a lot of children have. It isn't fair for a child to be able to use the internet for a research project when another kid in that same class has to rent books from the library and use those. Also, because one child will have more experience with technology than the other, it will be easier for them to find a job in the work industry. Some of the causes for this divide include socioeconomic status and where in the area the children live. As a teacher, I need to make sure that the assignments my students complete can be done across the board in an even manner without technology. I should also schedule weekly trips to the computer lab so that the students who do not have computers at home can get the experience with technology that they need.
I expect that as a teacher, I will mostly use softwares like Class Dojo and educational websites because I plan on teaching younger children, around the kindergarten age. They will probably also use the Paint feature, however I do not believe I will have them use Microsoft Word or Excel or anything like that because they are just now getting a taste of technology. I will probably also use typing websites and games so they can learn how to function a laptop or computer properly.
The digital divide affects student success in schools by limiting the options that a lot of children have. It isn't fair for a child to be able to use the internet for a research project when another kid in that same class has to rent books from the library and use those. Also, because one child will have more experience with technology than the other, it will be easier for them to find a job in the work industry. Some of the causes for this divide include socioeconomic status and where in the area the children live. As a teacher, I need to make sure that the assignments my students complete can be done across the board in an even manner without technology. I should also schedule weekly trips to the computer lab so that the students who do not have computers at home can get the experience with technology that they need.
I expect that as a teacher, I will mostly use softwares like Class Dojo and educational websites because I plan on teaching younger children, around the kindergarten age. They will probably also use the Paint feature, however I do not believe I will have them use Microsoft Word or Excel or anything like that because they are just now getting a taste of technology. I will probably also use typing websites and games so they can learn how to function a laptop or computer properly.
I am glad that you found the twitter activity helpful! I agree with you that fairness in education is a huge issue and we should try our best to accommodate students without technology background and help them to develop digital literacy. In addition, I also like Class Dojo because it is easy-to-use and good UI design. Maybe you can consider to set up a Class Dojo shell for your first independent learning project.
ReplyDelete